Trinity Fellowship Board Meeting
August 14, 2000
Don Williams, Cindy Morefield, Todd & Sherry Truffin
Todd brought the meeting to order.
Praise for Dr. Jones filling the business position at TFC; requests: Dr. Jones'back, new semester, Stricklands, former members finding churches (Meltons, Gerls, Ottmans), continued guidance for the church; Sherry's committee - reaction to first 3 chaps.
Cindy presented the 8/7 minutes; Sherry moved that the minutes be accepted as presented; Don 2nd; motion carried.
No report, but pastor's honorarium is up for reconsideration as per 4/27 meeting. Cindy made a motion that the pastor's honorarium be increased from $250 to $300 per month for the next three months (Sept., Oct., & Nov.); Sherry 2nd; motion carried.
- Coverings for front windows -- Cindy will find the prices she obtained for shades.
- Sign -- Cindy shared some designs; she and Todd will work on the design on Tuesday.
- Inklings II -- club is up. We (Ken?) should send an email to interested parties explaining new procedure. First "performance" night scheduled for Sept. 23; additional gatherings tentatively scheduled for Oct. 28 and Dec. 2. Check with Dann Moreau about tapping into TFC email list.
- Sunday evening activities - Morefields will host Aug. 27 and month of Sept. Todd and/or Sherry will lead first devotional. Meeting time will be 6:00 - 7:30 pm.
- Worship Leader - Don will lead the opening liturgy until such time as someone else is interested in doing it.
- Variety in the pulpit - it was decided that someone other than Don will preach at least two times this semester: in mid-Nov., when Don will be gone, and one earlier date. Don will talk to Ken about preaching one of those times; the other will hopefully be an opportunity for a pastoral studies major to preach.
- Liturgical year -- Cindy had suggested at a previous meeting that, beginning with Advent this year, we experiment with incorporating elements of the liturgical calendar in the worship services, etc. Sherry added that we could also focus on these themes with Inklings and perhaps issue "calls for work" dealing with the various seasons (e.g., Advent, Lent, etc.) as a way of encouraging more people to contribute to Inklings. It was decided that we would proceed with this idea and do research into how it can best be accomplished. Don indicated that he would not be comfortable fitting every sermon into such a calendar, because he would like to get into another book series, but would certainly look for ways to address some of the seasonal topics from the pulpit.
- Fall publicity ideas
- URL campaign -- we picked a bookmark design from the ones that Todd provided; he will get them printed at the TFC print shop. Hopefully they will be available to distribute during registration.
- Website faces -- need Ken's photo! (as of 8/17 his photo is up)
- Logo -- Cindy designed a logo and we will be using it on the sign; Todd has scanned it so we can incorporate it into other church publicity items.
- Registration table, move-in help, T-shirts -- we decided that with our shortage of personnel, it is unrealistic for us to undertake these forms of outreach in the coming week. We will consider the ideas for Winter, when we will hopefully have more people to help.
- Lawn care -- Cindy & Todd will mow on Tuesday at 7pm; Don will trim if he has time.
- Experiencing God thoughts -- Cindy shared several principles from this study that she thought were applicable to some of our upcoming decisions.
- Leadership nomenclature -- is Don the "teaching elder" or "pastor"? It seemed from the constitution that it was the former, but Don expressed his concern that "teaching elder" had some connotations that we might not want; it was decided to use the term "pastor" on the web site and other materials to avoid confusion.
Please note - the "Old" and "New" business items were not necessarily dealt with in the order listed above.
A unanimous decision was made to adjourn the meeting.
Cynthia L. Morefield, Secretary